Lindiwe Nkutha


titbits about me

about me as a human being
My name is Lindiwe Nkutha, I was born a little over thirty years ago in Soweto. i live in Westedene - Jozi. In the early days of my life I thought I wanted nothing more than to become an accountant. so I studied to become one, and for a while worked as one, until my life brought me to the realisation about just how wrong that thought was. at which point I found that I had to replace that thought with another – call it a more slightly correct one. so I decided to quit my job and started listening to what at the time i sensed was the universe’s suggestive whisperings about what I needed to do. the more I listened the clearer it became what the universe was saying. I felt urged in the direction towards story telling. general story telling using as many mediums as I could master. in response to that call I started writing poetry in the late 1990’s, then moved on to writing short stories in 2003 – two of which have now been published in anthologies of short stories, and one which I self published.

my new found love for telling stories grew so much that I came to a point where I felt that text alone was no longer enough as a vehicle - the image started appealing to me. although it was to film that I was first drawn, photography had long lived at the back of my head as perhaps a more artistic way of capturing the image – (aside from drawing and painting of course). at the beginning of 2002 I made a point of learning as much about film as I could. a move which paid off because in 2004 I was given an opportunity through the out in africa film festival to make a short film (3min) called “muted screams’ – which has now been shown in south africa, the united kingdom, and in brasil.
in 2005 armed with the experience and confidence from that experience I made another short film (8min) based the self published short story called “jocasta’s hairballs”
at the beginning of 2005 I took up photography lessons and before the year was over, I had already had two exhibitions at the constitution hill, as part of the ansister collective – and exhibited a photographic essay called “this way we bleed” and a multimedia project following the “jocasta’s hair balls” theme.

about me as a photographer
my basic philosophy about photography, is that some things are best seen with one eye closed. i close my eye a lot of times to look at the way women interact with the world and what the world in turn does to them. I look to real life for inspiration, but enjoy rendering this inspiration to interpretations of my own. so although I have taken pictures of real life as it happens, I am much more fascinated by the process and the end result of what comes out from interpretation. this preference I think stems from my also being a writer and from that part of me that is constantly reshaping and reframing real life into stories.

Comments

debhoag said…
Good morning! The contact button wasn't working, so I'm hoping you won't mind if I just post.
Lauren Beukes gave me your name, and said you might be interested in
subbing to our second anthology, Women Writing the Weird II: Dreadful
Daughters. We don't pay much (couple of contributor copies) but
reprints are fine, if you have something that fits. We're looking for
5,000 or less words, the theme as shown in the title of the book. You
can find out more about the first anthology (It was awesome!) by
visiting us at www.doghornpublishing.com) or by checking out our
facebook page for Women Writing the Weird. Looking forward to hearing
from you - Lauren said wonderful things about you. :)
you can reach me at debhoag@juno.com if you're interested.

Popular Posts