i spy with my 3rd i - Hanna Rhee -Orchard Bank

I’m, first and foremost, a nomad. I was born in Korea. I moved to the United States when I was sixteen. Since then, I’ve studied, worked and lived in LA, Boston, New York, Paris, Seoul, and Cape Town. In between, I’ve traveled to parts of North America, Europe, Asia, and Africa as much as I could.

Being such a nomad much of my life, I naturally find myself to be in the seat of an observer often. I have always found myself to be most at home when I’m on the edge of the crowd, partially in and partially out, looking in. I would wonder about their stories; where they are from, whom they loved and love, how they got hurt and recovered, and what they like, dislike and fear most in life… I would tell stories in my head.

I took up the camera seven years ago when I was in college. I have loved the black magic of a darkroom; how it sucks me in and holds me in with such focus and delight. I have loved how the camera feels in my hands and the sounds of the shutter. Most of all, I have loved a new visual channel for storytelling. This first-ever exhibit of selected prints is an accumulation of this fascination.

Moments

A nomadic observer, and one like me, loves most of all – moments. Moments that will never again repeat itself anywhere and any time in the world. Moments, while so wildly different from one another, that share a hint of universality across borders, time and space. Moments, while seemingly insignificant, that capture the essence of life or of beauty. Moments that tell stories of people, places and time. Moments that make your heart skip a beat.

This collection is a representation of those moments on my road trips in various parts of South Africa and Namibia.

Comments

Popular Posts